Perlite is a naturally occurring siliceous rock found around the whole world. The volcanic glass, or perlite, is formed when lava (molten rock) spews out of a volcano, and cools in a rapid manner. Because of rapid cooling, water is trapped within the rock, and the lava forms into a glass-like structure. Perlite contains 2 to 5 percent water and is a silicate rock, meaning it contains a “high percentage of silica (Si),” according to the Mineral Information Institute.
Perlite found in two forms; Crude Perlite and Expanded Perlite. Perlite in its crude state bears little resemblance to the expanded product once it has been processed. Perlite’s unique property is that it can expand up to 35 times of its original size when rapidly heated above 870°C. This expansion period can be reached by the help of water in rough mineral. If perlite mineral is heated more than 870°C (1600°F), water starts to evaporate and that cause expansion of rock. In reality, expanded perlite is a popped rock that is inert, light-weighted, sterile, permanent, incombustible, asbestos-free, non-toxic, rot and vermin proof and has a natural ph.
Perlite is a mineral that has an insignificant impact on the environment and does not pose any health concerns. It is a multi-purpose and sustainable mineral.
Expanded perlite is produced in different grain sizes in accordance to their sectors of usage. The physical nature of perlite allows itself to be utilized for a great deal of applications;
UTILIZATION FIELDS OF EXPANDED PERLITE
HEAT ISOLATION OF CRYOGENIC VESSELS
- Perlite is used for storage of liquid gases (-270 C) to keep their temperature in needed values for storing them as liquid gases. Perlite is filled between double walls of vessels or tanks in atmosphere pressure and vacuum.
- Liqufied petroleum gas (LPG)
- Liqufied natural gases (LNG)
- Liquid nitrogen and ammoniac
- Liquid progane, ethane and methane
- Liquid oxygen
- Liquid noble gases, propellant gases (propellans), refrigerant gases (refrigerant etc.)
HEAT ISOLATION OF DIFFERENT FURNACE AND SYSTEMS
- Perlit is used for prohibiting heat transfer to external environment(heat loss) for furnace with higher temperature working conditions.
- Free backfill is made outer surface of the furnace. (between double walls)
REFRACTORY BRICK PRODUCTION
- Perlite is used in production of bricks and soil mixtures as addition agent for vessels, cementation, heat processing and in melting furnace.
- Fuel saving can be reached with refractory blocks that produced by clay and calcium cements connecting to each other and that brings higher heat isolation with lighter bricks.
- Ceramics bounded perlite refractory bricks.
- Aluminum phosphate bounded perlite refractory bricks and concrete.
- Perlite refractory soil mixture
- Used as metallurgical flux in casting industry.
- Used as additional agent for casting sand.
- Protection of melted metal in melting pot.
- Protection of heat losses from metal ingot that going Rolling mill or forging.
- Sinter control of melted metal in iron-steel industry.
CONSTRUCTION (HEAT ISOLATOR SOIL MIXTURES AND PLASTERS)
- Perlite has heat and sound isolation properties because of its porous structure. Perlit is used in plasters, roof coatings, schappe and also for heat and sound isolation purpose between floors. Because of lightness it decreases dead load on building and protects buildings from earthquake.
- It doesn’t lost its properties in higher heat conditions and prevents spread of fire. Because it is anorganic material.
Usage in Construction Sector;
- Perlite plasters
- Light isolation concrete with perlite aggregates. (Concrete and plaster bounders)
- Light structural elements with perlite aggregates.
- Perlite used as weak filling material for heat and sound isolation
- Perlit used as heat and isolator in flor surfaces.
- Perlite concrete used bounding agents rather than cement and plaster, for special purposes.
- Perlite is used in ventilation of soil, rooting with cutting, improving water holding property of soil, helping agent for spreading droppings, improving physical properties of decoration or flowerpot soil properties as subsrate material.
- Perlit Usage in Agriculture;
- Perlite makes soil ventilated and improves its drainage with its %90 porosity and %60 ventilation porosity.
- Perlite increases infiltration,decreases evaporation. Provides economical watering procedure.
- Doesn’t carry weed seed or illness because its an inorganic material.
- Perlite doesn’t cause saltness and alkalization problems because of less amounts of soluble ions in it.
- Regulates pH values with its chemical buffering properties and notralized pH (pH= 6,5-7,5)
- Because of its lower electrical conductivity, it protects plant from daily temperature changes.
- In non-soiled agriculture activities; it brings advantages of usage with sterilization and usage for 6 years. It can provide early production.
- Prevents injuries and losses at seedling roots.
USAGE FOR FILTRATION
- Perlite is used for separating solid material from solid-liquid mixture, providing luminous and fast filtrate with easy filtration in cold and hot environment.
- In food industry
- Medicine and Chemical Industry
- Other filtration procedures
- Perlite is inert and water insoluble material because of its stable behavior. It is used as bleaching agent in textile sector. It doesn’t have harmful effect on health because it is an sterilized material. Perlite is easy to use doesn’t cause abrasion, doesn’t cause blocking and its light.